Friday, September 2, 2011

Health and Safety gone mad

My Carer
 From the pen of William Shakespear, as he sat in his house at Stratford-on-Avon, Friends, Romans and Myositis friends, lend me your ear,s ( I cant afford to buy them) today has been a "Funny old day" and for a Friday that s a change. The day started normally enough, had a decent nights sleep again ( Could get used to this) and was up at 8.00 for the carer to come as she is arriving earlier today as I have the Gas and Electrical meters being changed today. Anyway carer comes as promised at 8.30 and get me groomed and ready for the day.


Feeling Tired.
Decided to phone the doctor today as since reducing the Prednisolone I am starting to feel a distinct lack of energy during the day, my Neurologist did say that this would happen as we are reducing at quite a fast rate, ( 5 mg every week until we reach 10 mg daily),  It is probably the reason why I am sleeping better at night but I need to stay awake during the day as I have things to do.







The Family Doctor.
Anyway spoke to the doctor and she said that I probably need to reduce by 2.5 mg a week instead of 5.0 mg a week so this is what we are going to do and slow the rate of tapering, and so she is writing a prescription for me for 1 mg and 2 mg Prednisolone so I can alter the dose. so hopefully that will restore a little more energy during the day, It seems that my lack of energy kicked in after I went from 30 mg daily to 25 mg daily. that was 2 weeks ago.





Health and Safety Gone Mad


Gas Man
As Victor Meldrew says in "One foot in the Grave " I Don't Believe it  The Gas fitter turned up about 9.30 and changed the Gas meter for the new one and no problems there, as the gas meter is in a box outside the front of the house.
Electrician
But when the Electrician turns up, that is where it gets silly. My electrical meter is situated up at the top of the wall in the lounge (approx 2.3 meter's above the floor) so will need a step ladder to reach it, anyway the electrician takes one look and says "No, can't do that , needs a step ladder", I say "have you not got one in the van" He say,s "No, this is a two man job, will have to re-book it for next week " I say " No, I will phone and they can rebook it for later today" He say,s "you will be lucky if they do that" anyway I phone Southern Electric and after speaking to a Manager get promised that the Electricians will call back later today and change the meter, He explained that the Health and Safety at work says that if the have to use a step ladder then there must be two people present at the job, and also that they have to use special safety step ladders, and only workers that have completed the two day course in using "step ladders", can carry out the work.

Now those of you that suffer from Myositis will understand my predicament here, as you know that once on the floor it is very difficult to get back up, so you can imagine how I felt rolling around on the floor laughing my ass of at the thought of some one having to do a two day health and safety course in using a step ladder.

Happy Pills
However composing myself I thanked the chap at Southern Electric, had a few pill,s and went for a lay down on the bed to recover and compose myself, at least with all that going on the reaction from taking my Methotrexate seemed to pass me by.

The two Electricians turned up at 3.00 pm this afternoon complete with Regulation Step Ladder, Safety Helmet and Gloves and replaced the meter, so all well that ends well

Now that was an exciting day as days go, my son is going to collect my prescription from the doctors this afternoon, so should be able to alter the pred tomorrow so that is enough excitement for you all today, so until tomorrow, Adios Amigo,s

1 comment:

  1. Yes UK has gone safety mad. I can no longer use BA as my airline of choice because their cabin crew are not allowed to help me get up from my seat to get to the bathroom, nor are they allowed to put my hand luggage into the overhead locker. I am now meant to bring my own helper along. On an international flight? Are they insane?

    ReplyDelete