Monday, January 23, 2012

Myositis 1 Frank 0

The goose in Albert Road.
Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear, perhaps going out to lunch with Friends and Family was not such a good idea. What should have been a fun lunch at the "Goose at the V&A" in Albert Road Southsea, with Gervase, Leanne, Elaine, Dave, Pauline and Gordon, turned out to be a trip up to the Accident and emergency unit at QA Hospital and a 19 hour stay.

Queen Alexander Hospital. Portsmouth.
Gervase took me up to QA in his car ( it is about a 15 minute journey ) and we went straight to A&E (Accident and Emergency), I was feeling hot and very unsteady on my feet even with the cane and had a very tight chest and pains in the centre of my chest although by the time we reached the Hospital the pain had started to subside, anyway I was taken straight into the emergency major ward, where I was seen by a nurse and had my blood pressure taken and and also an ECG.

Accident and Emergency.
We got to the A&E Department about 2.15. At about 5.30 A doctor came and saw me, Apparently although there was slight irregularity on the ECG printout, it was no different to the one I had in april last year when I was diagnosed with DM so they were not concerned about that, however seeing as I had Pains in the Chest area I had to have another Blood test after 12 hours after the event which would be 2.00 am tomorrow so they were keeping me in overnight. I also had to go for a Chest X-Ray.


After the doctor had finished I sent Gervase on his way and I was then taken down for the X-Ray, that did not take long and then I was returned to the A&e department, within half an hour I was on the move again and was taken to Lilac ward in the Medical Assessment Unit (MAU) where I was transferred to a profile bed,and where I was to stay for the night, 

Medical Assessment Unit.
I have had nothing to eat since breakfast time and it is now 6.30 and i have missed the meal time here, I cannot move around as I am hooked up to a heart monitor, however they do try their best and find me a couple of Yoghurts and some peaches in syrup and a cup of coffee. I text pauline and let her know what is happening and Gordon insists they come up and see me, so they arrive at 7.30 armed with a packet of Biscuits  and a couple of Puzzle books, they stay for 30 minutes and leave at 8.00.
Pauline and Gordon.
It is a long night, I cannot sleep as every hour a nurse comes to take my blood pressure, and check the heart monitor, and at 2.00 pm they take the 12 hour blood test. The reason they wait 12 hours is that they can then tell from the blood test if any damage has been done to the heart, However at 3.30 the doctor comes to tell me that the X-Ray and Blood test were OK, and there is no damage to the heart, so they can rule out heart problems, after a further series of Questions and examination he is convinced that it was a Esophageal Spasm, which radiated into the chest muscles and cavity. and the trigger was me taking a large gulp of Ice Cold Orange Juice, that coupled with the heat in the Bar of the pub, apparently it can also be triggered  by hot drinks in a cold temperature, You learn something new everyday with Myositis.

No More ice in Orange Juice.

However he said that I am free to go home but as it is now 4.30 he suggests I stay until I have had breakfast at 7.00 and then I can make arrangements for someone to collect me during the morning, Great I think now I can get to sleep, Not so, they now come to disconnect me from the Heart monitor, Then they decide to remove the Cannula from arm,  after that the cleaners come in at 6.00 and tea lady at 6.30 and Breakfast at 7.00. so still no sleep. Phone Pauline at 7.30 and she is going to get a taxi up to collect me at 9.00, wel at least I have had something to eat.

City Wide Taxi,s
So Pauline arrives at 9.00 and we are on our way home. Thank goodness for that, so there we are then people that is how my lunch out with friends and family went. LOL. you just cannot tell with this crap disease but it will not beat me. Now I am home I can settle and check facebook and email,s and get my journal done and posted.  I have been overwhelmed with the good wishes from my Myositis friends and also friends in Portsmouth and Family around the globe. so until tomorrow and back to normality I will say Bye Bye.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Frank, how scary! At least you got some good preventive advice for the future, but man, what an ordeal!

    Hope you get lots of deep, soothing rest now.

    Peace, Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mari.

      it was scary for a time but once I was up the hospital the medical staff took over and all was ok. certainly will sleep well tonight.

      Frank

      Delete
  2. ICE NOT NICE! so glad you're OK, so frightening at the time, but great family and friends who rallied for you.
    Take care, Chris

    ReplyDelete