Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What a weekend that was.

So here we are back home after another episode at the local Queen Alexander hospital in Portsmouth, I think they must be getting used to me up there now, it was mentioned in the Accident and Emergency department that they should have a special bed with my name on, however I do think I convinced the nurses that my frequent visits were to test the food for an Egon Ronay, star award.

Queen Alexander Hospital (QA), Portsmouth.


Saturday Started off as a normal saturday does, woke up the normal time, go settled in the lounge, Carer came and got me washed and then I got the laptop up and running, and at about 11.00 got bored being stuck indoors, it was fairly cold out but it was sunny and blue skies, so thought I would get of out with the camera down to Gunwharf Quays and take a few Photo,s. As it turns out this was not the best of ideas, I got a Taxi down to Gunwharf and had a walk around taking a few photo,s to put on facebook. 
 Was walking Slowly and enjoying the fresh air, when I got to Thorntons Cafe, Thought I would take one more photo and then make my way to the Taxi office and come home. Well that is as far as I Got, Took the photo, and then all of a sudden, everything started spinning and I ended up on the ground. 
The Last Photo.

As far as I know I did not pass out, as I remember hitting the ground and also people running over to me, I was not confused, remembered where I was. who I was, and other things, including pauline,s phone number. anyway the ambulance arrived and I was taken to the Accident and Emergency department (A&E) at the QA.
I was Kept in the A&E until about 7.00 pm and then moved into the Medical assessment Unit ( Orange Ward) where I was seen by a doctor and there I stayed Overnight. 

Sunday I was seen by a Cardiologist who said that they wanted to keep me in to carry out a Heart Echo Ultrasound Scan, and also another ECG as the one they did when I was in the A&E yesterday showed an irregular heart rhythm, and what concerned him is that much the same thing happened 3 weeks ago when I went out on a sunday lunchtime with my son and friends, Then I was sat down when i went dizzy so did not fall and the consultant then diagnosed it as an Esophagus Spasm, ( Wrong call then I think).

anyway I was in the Medical assessment unit until about 8.00 pm on Sunday and was then moved to the Cardiac Ward, (C6) and allocated bed 14. Oh what fun this was, at least there was a TV there at £7.50 for 24 Hours, it was cheaper if you paid for several days but as I did not know how long I would be there I paid on a daily basis. I could also through that get basic (Text Only) Internet access, so at least I could get on facebook, although it was very slow, much like the ZX81 computer from the early late 1980,s.
At least it was not noisy here on the Cardiac ward so I was able to get a decent nights sleep.

Monday dawned and I was wondering what today would bring. I had my 3 monthly appointment today at 11.20 with my Neurologist {Dr Gibb} so I mentioned it to the nurses that he would need to be informed where I was, ( It was lucky that the outpatient appointment was here at QA) anyway they arranged for me to have a porter take me down for the appointment so I was pleased about that, (I had my Journal with me with all my medical and medication details as gervase brought it up yesterday when he came up when I was admitted). 

The appointment went Ok with doctor Gibb, He thinks that the heart irregularity is linked to the Myositis, or it could be linked to the Methotrexate. anyway at this moment in time he is going to consult with the Cardiologist, and they will investigate why it is happening and also the cause and then look at any changes, procedures, or treatment is required. so he is sending all my notes to the cardiologist although he assured me he will remain my primary consultant. he has changed my Prednisolone regime so that instead of taking 10 mg daily I now take 5 mg one day and then 15 mg the next and then at some point we will change to 2.5 mg one day and  15 mg the next and taper it down until we get to just 15 mg every other day.  

So that was Monday over with, It is very boring in Hospital so the mind wanders, (actually i think mine goes on a route march) anyway been thinking about all the scientists and Einstein,s theory and came up with my own which is P=WC. this will from now on be known as "Tinkler's Theory". anyway no tests today, but lots of Blood tests and blood pressure taken. So that is the end of monday, Gervase and Leanne came  up for a hour and bring me some puzzle magazines and a paper so get the crossword done and then off to sleep.

Tuesday is here and I am awake early. it is valentines day today, so I tell the nurses that I could not get any red roses for them, and that I want to be out for tonight as it is "Grab a Granny Night down the local care home" and I was hoping to get a valentine date LOL. the nurses are really great here. The consultant Cardiologist come round Early to see me today and said that today they will do the Heart Echo Ultrasound scan and then fit a " Insertable Cardiac Monitor" under the skin on my chest, and once that is done I will be able to go home.

so it is after lunch that the Chap comes round to do the Ultrasound heart scan, I thought I would be going to a consulting room but he is going to do it on the ward with a portable machine, the technology is so advanced these days. anyway it does not take long and he said that the will now compare it with the one that was done in Southampton when I was diagnosed with DM last year and if no problems they would then insert the recorder in my chest.

About 2.30 the technician comes to map me for the recorder to be inserted, that takes about 10 minutes he then explains what it is, how it is used etc and said that once he has entered it all into the system they would come to fetch me, about 3.30 the doctor comes and I am taken to the Theatre and the Insertable Cardiac Monitor (ICM) is inserted in my chest, just under the skin.  It is done under local anesthetic so I do not feel any "Pain" but the worst part is once they have cut the skin they have to wiggle there fingers down under the skin to make a "Pocket" for the "Monitor" to sit in. "And that hurt". anyway it took about 15 minutes and then it was stitched back up and I was taken back to the ward.

The above photo shows the recording monitor, which looks like a USB Stick and also the hand held recording device. it is a "Medtronic Reveal " unit and there website gives a lot of information on the use of the unit, the basic is that the Recorder records the heart beat continuously on a loop  but only retains a small amount of information, in the case of a "Turn" ie dizziness, Palpitations etc you use the reveal unit to record the heart beat and that stores it for the doctors to download, so that with what is recorded on the monitor shows the heart beat leading up to and after the "Event". I did ask if they could fit a USB lead to connect to my laptop. I will not divulge what they said lol.At 5.30 I was given the discharge form, so phoned Gervase and he came up at 6-30 and took me Home, and Boy did I sleep last night.

Wednesday and here I am at Home. the chest feels very sore today so will not be doing to much, it is very bruised but they said to expect that and you can feel the recorder under the skin. Pauline has to go for her "Carpal Tunnel" op this afternoon, I spoke to her this morning and she is a little worried, but at least she has gordon to go with her, and they are going to pop in and see me afterwards, I feel so bad that there is nothing I can do to help her after all she has done and is still doing for me this year. Gervase will be in this evening after work and leanne has sent me messages and to ring if I have a problem and my sister Eileen and Chris are coming in to see me tomorrow and get some shopping for me. 

Well that is about it for me today as I am going to get some lunch and then a lie down I think, so until tomorrow,s journal I will say Tatty Bye.







No comments:

Post a Comment